Knitting

12 February 2014


Usually when I have a frantic knitting time to get something made by a deadline, and I don't have the time to knit anything else in the meantime, I can't wait to cast on or get on with another project.  I did manage to finish knitting the shawl which I shared last week, I am still blocking it.  I was concerned about finishing off with kitchener stitch, it looks ok but it is not the best of finishes.  I think it was more about the provisional cast on than my kitchener stitch.  It looks a little better now that it is blocking, if I don't try these things I won't get better at them, I think I know what I would do differently next time!  So having the shawl off the needles I thought I would be eager to start the next thing but I found I didn't want to and had a break from knitting for three days.  I spent that time frogging a cardigan I knit ages ago and hardly wore because it looked awful on me.  I now have a big ball of wool which I have decided I will knit into another one of these with sleeves this time.  I have to confess I did also spend some of that three days searching on Ravelry to check there were no other cardigans I wanted to knit......I have now cast on another project a sock for me.  Those of you who visit here regularly may recognise this yarn as I have shared it before, I cast on one of these but frogged it as I decided it was the wrong pattern for this yarn.  I think this pattern suits this yarn.

I have also been reading a lot this week too.  I picked up two new books in the library when I visited on Thursday and have read one of them already.  The Still Point by Amy Sackville was a wonderful read that I could not put down.  The events in the book take place over the course of a day.  A hot summers day.  They are interwoven with events from one hundred years before in the Arctic and the old house that Julia, one of the main characters, is now living in and which has belonged to her ancestors for many generations.  She is trying to make sense and order in the belongings that are cluttering the house she has inherited and makes a totally unexpected discovery.  Julia's husband meanwhile is wrangling with difficult decisions of his own.  I read this authors other book Orkney last year and loved that too.  Next up I am going to read The Beautiful Truth by Belinda Seaward.

11 comments:

  1. I just scrolled back to have a look at your shawl - absolutely stunning! (Your nightie, too) I love the yarn colour you chose.
    The colours in your sock yarn have a lovely graduation. Very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that book a while back - enjoyed it too. Love your knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful shawl and I bet your stitches are beautiful after the provisional cast on (not a favorite of that method) Great gray color and such pretty subtle hues that are woven in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that yarn. Your sock pattern looks interesting, I need to try something a bit more challenging that the basic sock pattern I've been making lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. socks are everywhere this week! such a pretty colorway in yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your project are all interesting and pretty, I love the yarn on the photo, it gives a beautiful effect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What gorgeous yarn, and such a lovely texture. I really must get into socks. But I need to find more time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. oo I like your sock pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That yarn is stunning - your socks will be amazing. I scrolled back to have a look at your shawl - beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sock looks great in that yarn! So pretty. It's so nice when you find the right pattern for the right yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have wondered about The Still Point ... I have it on my maybe list so thank you for the recommendation. I'm reading a non-fiction title I suspect you might enjoy ... I just blogged about it :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)